Monday, January 12, 2009

My Message to Oprah

I get the Oprah Magazine once a month, because I love Oprah, and I love the inspiration I get from the articles her magazine publishes. Her latest issue really caught my attention (the January 2009 issue). In big, pink neon letters across the cover of the magazine it reads, "How did I let this happen again?" Just below that it says, "OPRAH on her battle with weight: A must-read for anyone who's ever fallen off the wagon." I have to say that as I read Oprah's article, I felt moved by her willingness to share so authentically about her struggle with her weight. How vulnerable and courageous she is to face what seems to be one of her biggest life challenges- with the rest of the world watching!

In her article, which starts on page 148 of her magazine, Oprah says, "I don't have a weight problem- I have a self-care problem that manifests through weight." I think that's a brilliant insight, and I'd say that's probably true of most people who are overweight. Self-care is often last on the list. I know it has been for me at times. Oprah says she's putting herself back on her own priority list... terrific! I intend to recommit myself to that as well.

Toward the end of her article, Oprah says, "As I work out, eat healthfully, and reorder my life so there's time to replenish my energy, I continue to do the spiritual and emotional work to conquer this battle once and for all." I'm happy to see that Oprah recognizes that there's more to weight loss and self-care than just the physical level. There are also the mental, emotional and spiritual levels that have to be looked at as well, in order to maintain optimal health.

If I were Oprah's coach, I would encourage her to move away from the idea that she is "battling" her weight, endeavoring to "conquer" and win the battle "once and for all." I realize this is just a figure of speech, but I believe the way we approach things largely determines the outcome. I would encourage her to skip the battle and go right to the peaceful negotiations. It sounds like her actions are in alignment with this, as evidenced by her intention to work out, eat healthfully, etc. But mentally, she’s still holding judgments that are keeping her engaged in battle. Oprah says, "I'm mad at myself. I'm embarrassed. I can't believe that after all these years, I'm still talking about my weight." I can feel the judgment she’s placed on herself and her weight. Making peace with these judgments will be critical in ending the “back and forth” pattern of weight gain.

Here's my message to Oprah...

Oprah, I love you just as you are. I support you in loving yourself completely and unconditionally in this moment... and I support you in taking the very best care of yourself, which will inevitably lead to your body's healthy weight. Your “best life” is right now, not when you’ve lost 40 or so pounds. Your best life is now, as you touch the profound place of love inside yourself- love that has the power to end even the most vicious battle- and live this moment from that place.

Much Love,

Niki Svara
http://www.lovethewayyoulook.com/

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Thank you for the great message to all of us. I also was struck by Oprah's willingness to talk openly about the weight gain and not so appreciative of the remorse she shared. During her TV discussion, she brought me to tears with the statement that she had gratitude for her bodies continuing, despite her uncaring attention to it.

As I continue my journey of learning to drive the vehicle I was given, I want to make it a loving journey instead of a battle.

Cynthia (nrgdoc)

Unknown said...

What wonderfully written article. I loved reading your perspective and how you shifted the energy just slightly, but very powerfully without making one thing wrong/right; better/worse.
Well done!

Unknown said...

Thank you for some gently loving but hugely perceptive thought provoking ideas in your article.

Bless-sings